Tuesday, July 28, 2015

#Blacklit #Blackreads #Blackwriters Gifted Black Science Fiction Writer NK Jemison profiled at the Guardian

With the money I've raised to do this I can review about 15 to 20 books. I'm trying to make it a point to read something of this writer.

Here's the money quote from this favorable Guardian profile:

“As a black woman,” Jemisin tells me, “I have no particular interest in maintaining the status quo. Why would I? The status quo is harmful, the status quo is significantly racist and sexist and a whole bunch of other things that I think need to change. With epic fantasy there is a tendency for it to be quintessentially conservative, in that its job is to restore what is perceived to be out of whack.”
I was also very impressed with her 1000 words per day while working a fulltime job.

If we lived in a decent world, where the people who run that Oprah channel or God help us BET were just as talented as the people who run AMC or HBO, this woman's books would be adapted and they could give "Game of Thrones" a run for its money. Would be nice if they could include the full frontal nudity and the graphic violence because, hey, that makes me like the show more. I hope to be checking out one or two of her books in the next 45 days or so. The covers are beautiful.






No comments:

Post a Comment