Thursday, July 30, 2015

#Comics #BlackLit New Kyle Baker collection, Important Literary Journal, looks to be hilarious and very dark.

When I first saw Kyle Baker's work when I was just a small child (think we're the same age) I thought he was a Neal Adams clone. Now he's gone the full Eisner. I'm amazed by how many styles this guy can pull off.

Here's the cover:

It looks to be a collection of his cartoons. And they're mostly drop dead brilliant. I think, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, even though you can buy the book at Amazon, and I may spend 4.99 just to do that, you can read all or at least some  of the toons here at this website, which I think is the publisher. And that's free. I never knew that Kyle Baker was a Cory Doctorow style copyleftist. You can find just about everything that Cory Doctorow has written online for free although his sales are also pretty good as well. But I think he makes most of his money writing for Boing Boing. Not necessarily proven to be always a great tactic giving your work away.

Wish Kyle had a tipjar. I'd throw in a couple dollars.

Anyhow. How good are these Cartoons? This one reminds me a bit of Frank Miller's Peanuts..


Here's one that I think he pitched to the New Yorker. It's drawn in their style.

And I hope the Home life is going well for Kyle. There are a few "Why I hate Saturn" style toons that seem to feature Kyle and his significant other. This isn't one of them, I hope.


Funny stylish stuff. He's like a one man Mad Magazine, if Mad Magazine hired black men either in the 50s, or now. I don't think Charlie Hebdo had one person of color on their staff. Jon Stewart could count all of his black writers on one hand or so I've heard...Don't get me started...








No comments:

Post a Comment